Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Turkey Shoot @ Lake Wildwood

Last Saturday, LWW had a 'Turkey Shoot' at the spillway. No, you don't actually shoot at a turkey...at least not a real one. You stand back about 40 yards and shoot at a paper target of a turkey silhouette with a red circle in the vital area around the neck & head. We use these targets to sight in our turkey guns. I've always enjoyed any kind of shooting sports & add in a bit of competition & I'm there. Apparently, so are a bunch of other people as there were a lot of men, women, boys & girls that showed up from 1 - 3 pm. Zack & I got there just a few minutes after 1 pm. Most of this kind of shooting is luck as we were using dove shot (very small pellets) with an open choke (very wide pattern) shotgun.
I was fortunate as 35 pellets pierced the red circle on my target. They took my name & recorded my shot. I was the 3rd person to shoot but I had the most of those 3. Later that day, around 4 - my wife called me and asked, "Is this the sharp shooting Pastor in Wildwood?" I said, "don't tell me I won that Turkey Shoot." "You sure did, first place! They just dropped off a turkey & a gift card to Bass Pro." The funny thing is that as Zack & I pulled away I told him that if I somehow won this contest that I would be banned from any & all LWW competitions in the future seeing I won the biggest loser two weeks ago & the turkey shoot this week!
Go figure...God is good.

1 comment:

Chuck said...

I took my daughter Ariel to a "turkey shoot" in Suffield when she was 7 and found out that the kids round wasn't until the end of the day so I bought her a ticket for every round that I was shooting in so we could shoot together. She had her new mossberg 410 and I had my 12 gauge turkey gun. They measured the pellet hole closest to the center of the target. Needless to say there were a lot of angry adults as she won the turkey, a pit ham and a brisquet, I won a turkey and a smoked kilbasa. There were actually men arguing that she should be disqualified because it wasn't the kids turn to shoot! The club running the event pointed out that they were just upset that a 7 year old with a 410 whooped their tails when they were all shooting 12 gauges with extra full turkey chokes! It was a proud moment for me as a father and avid sportsman. She still has several of the targets hanging on her bedroom corkboard! Talk about keeping it in the 10 ring! Congrats on your sharp shooting skills (or pure luck) LOL