Monday, November 10, 2008

Corned Venison

You have to try this! It is FANTASTIC! I've only done the wet version but I'd like to try the dry version. Let me know how it works for you.





Deli-Style Corned Venison

4 – 6 lb. Venison

5 T Morton Tender Quick

2 T Brown Sugar

1 T Course Ground Black Pepper

1 tsp. Ground Paprika

1 tsp. Ground Bay Leaves

1 tsp. Ground Allspice

½ tsp. Garlic Powder

Trim surface tallow from brisket (or any other cut of meat, the neck works well). In a small bowl, mix Morton Tender Quick & remaining ingredients. Rub mixture into all sides of brisket. Place brisket in a plastic bag & allow to cure 5 days per inch of meat thickness, turning the bag over daily. Place cured brisket in Dutch oven, add water to cover, bring to a boil, and reduce heat. Simmer until tender; about 3 to 4 hours.






Here are the ingredients to make up to 6 gallons of corning liquids. If this is too much, cut the recipe in half or if too little, double it.


10 ounces of sugar


2 1/2 ounces of sodium nitrate


3 pounds of salt


3 level teaspoons of pepper


1 level teaspoon of ground cloves


6 bay leaves


12 level teaspoons of mixed pickling spice If you care for onions, mince one onion 3 inches in diameter


If you care for garlic, mince 4 garlic cloves.


Put the ingredients into a pickle crock or glass jar and add enough water to make a total of 6 gallons including the ingredients. The ideal temperature for corning meat is 38 degrees. During the fall or spring months this is not too difficult to get. In the you can use an unheated part of your basement for corning meat. During hot summer months it is hard to find a place around 38 degrees. Higher temperatures will not affect the end result of your corning at all but for every 15 degrees of a higher temperature than about 38 degrees, add one-third more salt. At about 83 degrees for example, add 3 more pounds of salt making a total of 6 pounds of salt used.


(I put it in the fridge for 4-5 weeks)

3 comments:

jwcreath@gmail.com said...

4-5 weeks!!! Yikes! I thought it only took 5-7 days?

Chuck said...

Thanks for your speedy posting! Rebecca wanted to know what I was so excited about - when she saw it involved corned meat she laughed. I cant wait to get another deer so I can try this out - I will probably attempt both the dry and wet versions. Thanks again! :) :) :) :) :) Food makes me happy!

Rebecca said...

Paul, you can order Roxie's cds directly from her. They are $15 each. I can email you her phone or email. Let me know.
**And BTW, I'm sure you guys save tons of money with the deer meat. I wasn't saying that eating the meat was gross but that picture of the deer's bloody tongue lolling around was gross!!