Tuesday, September 23, 2008

A Wise Man...

I have been sitting under some of the best Bible teaching that I've ever heard. Dr. James Raiford has been teaching our A.B.C. 08 (Autumn Bible Conference) this week. What a joy to hear a man so carefully & accurately communicate the Word of God! Let me encourage you to download his teachings at the end of this week at the Church of the Wildwood's Web site. The theme of our conference is "The Sufficiency of Scripture". His pulpit ministry is just tops, a real expositor. There is, however, another side to this man. I've been spending time with him one on one & at the tables of many of our Church members. We 'discussed' Calvinism vs Arminianism yesterday at lunch. We were in the home of one of our church families. I lean far more toward Calvinism & Dr. Raiford more towards Armenianism (though neither of us to an extreme). Here's what amazed me. This man is so very gracious in his disagreement. He is also so very careful not to destroy me in debate in front of my people (I am very sure he could easily do this with one half of his brain tied behind his back). I even had to encourage him to speak more freely so as to get a better understanding of his opposing position. Wow! That is so very impressive to me. I guess I'm still young & when I'm right & I know it, I can have a tendency to blow away any & all dissenting views. A wise man can rest in his wisdom & win his opponents with grace. Dr. James Raiford is a truly wise man.

No comments: