Friday, September 19, 2008

Biting the Bullet

Today was one of those days you dread. My daughter Anna brought 'Bullet' to our family in April. He was a stray puppy that was headed for the pound. Anna talked me into keeping him & that wasn't too hard as his disposition was very gentle & sweet. Bullet & our dog Trigger were seeming to get along well but I told my children that as soon as Bullet got bigger than Trigger we'd have a fight on our hands. From day one, Trigger let Bullet know who was boss which was fine with meek Bullet. I noticed that lately Trigger was more aggressive towards him. It is turning fall & something 'turns on' in Trigger this time of year. He's a full blooded mountain curr & hunting & tracking are in his blood. The two dogs got out Wednesday & went running. When they came home, Bullet was limping & bleeding. It was obvious that he had been attacked & it was also obvious that his front fore leg was severely broken.
I didn't sleep at all Wednesday evening knowing what I had to do the next morning. I already prepared the kids & told them that surgery was out of the question. Anna slept on the dining room floor with Bullet for much of that night. She somehow knew & it was so painful to watch.
One of the men in my church happened to be in my office when Paul Jr. told me about Bullet's leg. He too knew what would most likely outcome of it & he gave me his vets name & graciously said the He & his Wife would like to take care of the bill. Talk about making a horrible day so much better. Just to see that level of compassion & caring.
When Zack & I came home from the vet without Bullet, the whole house just seemed empty. Sam came running out to meet me and said rather matter of factly, "Well, did you kill Bullet"? I need to talk to that boy about tact even though he's only three. Everyone was heart sick so I loaded them all up & took them to Wafflehouse for breakfast. Yea, I had to bite the bullet today & man did that hurt.

1 comment:

Chuck said...

Sorry to hear about your loss - I will pray for you and your family during your time of sorrow. The companionship dogs provide is often second to only God Himself.