Monday, December 31, 2007

Salt & Light

I had a funeral Sunday afternoon. I arrived about an hour beforehand to get everything ready. The assistant funeral director was there as well. We made some small talk and then he said, "My neighbor attends church here". I can't tell you how many times I've heard that in some form or other. It usually turns out to be someone that I've never seen. "Really" I questioned, "What's His name". "Hayward" was his reply. Hayward doesn't just attend - he is fully engaged and then some. A zephyr of God's encouragement to our battle weary fellowship. Then this elderly man told me that before the McKie family moved into their neighborhood he didn't know any of his neighbors. Now they have had a block party organized by Hayward. Then he told me that Hayward mows this elderly family's lawn for them.
What a deep encouragement to me as a Pastor. That man came into our church with a positive outlook because of his interaction with one of our members. Now that's a refreshing change...and its the way it is supposed to be.
I thank God for men like Hayward & I pray for more to follow in his footsteps.

No comments: