Thursday, December 6, 2007

Day Away



Beth & I had a wonderful day away this past Monday. Our dear friends, the Glaze's have a mountain get away in north Georgia. This picture is from last year. They have done a fantastic job of sprucing up the yard. We went up Sunday evening after we enjoyed lunch at the Sleeper family's home. We pulled in around 10:30pm Sunday night. Three fat does were in the side yard eating grass. My wife said, "that's more deer than you've seen all year while hunting." That was so uncalled for. She then was put out when I sped up & tried to run them down as they crossed the road.
Monday morning I took Beth to the Unicoi State Park Lodge. They have an impressive quilt display there. We also were able to see their Christmas tree display that filled the entire second floor. I decided to eat there as they have an excellent buffet. Monday was no exception. The London Broil was the best I've ever had. I got my plate and sat down waiting for Beth. I turned to see her talking to someone (not quite like my sweet quiet wife). It turned out to be Faye & James, the daughter of Miss Trellie Fudge, one of our dear shut in members. Faye & James were just married recently. They were both married for 38 & 40 years respectively. Both their spouses died & they were single for a few years. God brought them together & they were recently married. I was so impressed with James. A Godly man who has a quiet strength & a servant's heart. Faye told me that towards the end of the wedding, James washed her feet. I had met them a few days earlier as I was visiting Miss Fudge. Of all the place to run into them...half way up a mountain in the North Georgia Wilderness! We sat & fellowshipped with them around coffee & pie. What a treat. Then as we all got ready to leave, James took our check & bought lunch for us.
Suffice it to say, it was a blessed retreat. I drove Beth through the park & was saw a big buck walking down the road. I pulled right up to him & he just looked at us. Then when we pulled into Wildwood - two does ran accross the street before the lake. Six deer in two days! O well, humble pie is low-cal.

2 comments:

Gretchen said...

Hey, I love your idea about the night of the giver. Can I use it as a feature on my blog? Could you e-mail me your sermon (or part of it) that outlines that? What a great idea! Saving Christmas for adoring Christ! WONDERFUL!

e-mail is jneisler4828ataoldotcom

Jamie said...

What a great time away! My parents live in the country in Upper Michigan and we've been having fun seeing all sorts of deer in their yard (and playing in the snow). They're both big hunters (but don't hunt from home) and weren't able to get a deer this year.