Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Sam's 1st Deer

The beast is dead...let there be meat! I decided to take Sam hunting with me Monday evening as it was windy & any 'extra noise' made by a 3 year old would be masked by the wind. We hiked to a box stand overlooking a beautiful food plot. Sam climbed right up & was excited to actually be deer hunting with Dad.

He was great about talking in a whisper. We even practiced standing still in the corner in case Daddy saw a deer (which I doubted with the wind & Sam noise all around) Sam played with an old wasp nest & spider web. You'd be amazed what a kid can do with such 'toys'. He ate graham crackers & enjoyed drinking from my hydration pack. He also enjoyed looking through my "spotting scope".

Sam was in the middle of telling me that deer can climb trees when I saw movement on the logging road to my right. I could see a deer behind some pine branches. Sam did just like we practiced & stood stock still in the corner. When I placed my rifle on the window sill, I made a bump & the deer was alerted. I quickly leaned into my rifle to view it through the scope. Another 'bump'! I figured it was over but instead of bolting away, this curious buck stepped out for a better look at the source of all that 'bumping'.

I immediately counted 8 points, dropped the cross hairs to his front shoulder & squeezed the trigger. He dropped right there in the road. "Did you got him?" was Sam's excited yet sort of whispered question. I picked him up & let him see the deer laying in the road. Sam headed right for the ladder. When we got to him, Sam went right over & touched the eye (which every seasoned hunter knows is how you check for life). When he was satisfied that the buck was down he looked up at me & said, "We got a nice buck Dad!"
We walked the trail back to camp to get the deer cart. I put Sam in the cart & rolled him back to the deer. Then I put the buck & Sam on the cart for the trek back. Thankfully Paul Jr. heard the shot & showed up as I was trudging back to camp.
Last night was the stuff of dreams. The buck is a great 8 point chocolate Georgia deer but the hunt was the real trophy. Oddly enough, I was nearly overwhelmed with a sense of God's favor. Just as Sam looked at me with amazement, I too look at my Father in heaven with the same wonder.


5 comments:

Chuck said...

Great post - I am sitting here fighting back tears as I reflect on the memories of hunting seasons past spent with my father. I am also reminded constantly of the love our heavenly Father show us each and every day - whether it be while I am working, going through the motions of a normal day in life or enjoying a relaxing day soaking in His wonderous Creation. We are truly blessed - and your sons are too - by having a father like you.As I have said before these are memories you kids will have for a lifetime, thanks for passing on the tradition as well as raising your kids in a Godly home.

Unknown said...

Thanks for your encouragement. I remember your Dad & brother being avid deer hunters.
God has so greatly blessed us as a family & sometimes I forget that. You reminded me of it in your comment.
My church gave me some $ for Pastor Appreciation Sunday last week & I was able to purchase a big meat grinder so now I can do all of my processing at home

Rebecca said...

GROSS!!!!!! From your city-dwelling sister-in-law!!! LOL!!!

Unknown said...

One person's "Gross" is another person's "Great"!
Sam was so excited. He's going to make a mighty fine hunter one day.

Vicki said...

PP, I love the picture's of Sam but absolutely NOT of the deer's tongue hanging out on one side...gross!!!! I couldn't even finish looking at it because I disturbed me so bad..ha! You'll be happy to know that my sons were laughing at me. They are lucky they didn't punished for it!

Vicki