Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Cat Theology

Well, this blog has been abandoned...or so it would seem.  It's a new year & a new day and I'm making some new plans.  "His mercies are NEW every morning".  
So here's some of my plans.  I'm going to live joyful this year - no excuses.  Looking at the blatant positives with thanksgiving & digging out the gold of dark days.
Let's start with Ellie's cats.  I have never been a cat person. I've never made that a secret.  However, I am an Ellie person and she's a cat person therefore - you can finish this conditional syllogism (thanks to Jim Nance's introductory logic).  I have come to not only tolerate but enjoy these two familial felines - Rory & Rose (apparently named from the Dr. Who tv show).  They are brother and sister and Ellie got them while I was in Brazil this summer.  Did I mention that Ellie is smart like her Momma?
They have been expensive, smelly & a pain - like having two nocturnal toddlers set loose in the house every night.
Rory lets us know when he wants to come in from the outside by hanging on the screen in the living room.  He's already ruined one of the screens and is working on the other.  It's like a cat version of Spider Man - splayed out on the living room screen.
The sad part is...he's got us trained.  They say that there's no training a cat but they are sure good at training us.
Rose is the feline version of Ellie.  She is private, aloof & tempermental.  Those aren't bad things...they just are things.  You have to take them both as you find them and love them right where they are no matter what.  She runs away from everyone...except Ellie.  If you do catch her and pet her, she immediately has to clean herself where ever you touched her.  Pity & offense are simultaneously felt by trying to love this cat.
Yet I've come to love these furry flea infested felines.  They think they are worth it and wonder why we don't do more for them.  There is no such thing as gratefulness with cats...just expectation.  Someone astutely noted that cats don't have owners, they have staff.
I've come to realize that i'm a lot more like a cat in my relationship with God. I have a bad case of Cat theology.  You take a dog off the street, bathe it, take it to the vet, feed it, give it a warm place to sleep and when it looks at you the dog thinks, "This guy must be God".  You do the exact same think with a cat and the cat thinks, "I must be God".
So here's to Cats!  

No comments: