Thursday, July 23, 2009

Junior Camp

Run John, Run the Law demands
But gives us neither feet nor hands
Far better news the Gospel brings
It bids us fly & gives us wings
-John Bunyon-
We spent a busy & fun week with 120 folks at Junior camp last week. I taught on "Law & Grace". Really I taught 90% on the Commandments & 10% on Grace which is a good rule of thumb when you think about it. Below is the hand motions to commandment #2 - no graven images. I taught these hand motions 2 years ago & some of the children still remembered them. Amazing! One of the 'Great Finds' before camp was a DVD by a group called the Go Fish Guys. I was searching for a great 10 commandments song. I found some real hinky songs but one called "The Ten Commandment Boogie" was a hit with my son Sam. Below is a pic of my girls & Emily doing the motions to it. I encourage you to check their music out at http://www.gofishguys.com/
Here's Sam doing the motions as well - This is to the line..."...the 10 commandment boogie, gonna dance it till I die..."

The material was from John Piper's church & it was excellent. http://www.childrendesiringgod.org/ I had to combine the commandment teachings as each commandment was a stand alone lesson. Due to only having 10 chapel services, I had to combine 2 commandments per lesson. As a result, I couldn't go near as deep as the material did. I had to carve a lot of good stuff out.


The lesson on commandment #7 had me in knots. How do you teach 3rd - 5th grade kids about adultery & why its a bad idea. How do you even define it? God was gracious. Camp Definition: Adultery is treating another person who isn't your husband/wife like they were your husband/wife.
Would you believe it was that lesson that broke the hearts of many of the kids?! They are living with the fruit of unfaithfulness & I never really gave that a thought. I took an egg & dropped it on the floor to illustrate how being unfaithful destroys a family. When I looked back up from that, many children & even some of the teen counsellors were wiping away tears.
Several children came under the conviction of the Holy Spirit & confessed Christ as Savior. My little cousin Becky being one of them.
Some of the most dear & lovely Christians I know are Camp Eunice regulars. I praise God for the opportunity to invest a week in the lives of those young people.



2 comments:

Chuck said...

It's amazing how many young people's lives are changed during a week spent with friends at camp! I wish I could have been there I know my relationship with God wouldn't be what it is today if I had never went to camp - I can still remember some of the messages and testimonies that softend my heart for God to make Himself known to me, especially the weeks spent "roughing it" in a tent at Pastor Whitney's churches camp. Both of my kids will be coming home from a Christian camp on Saturday afternoon I can't wait to hear about their experiences. (thinking about you at camp makes me want to sing "Friends are friends forever - if the Lord is the Lord of them!) :) Ahh memories!

Chuck said...

Here is a link to the camp my kids have gone to the past few years - man I wish work wasn't so demanding - I would love to volunteer as a councelor some day Lord willing.
http://www.pinebrookcamp.org/