Monday, September 10, 2007

Bow Season is Here!


I got to bow hunt tonight for the first time this year. I use a pop up blind very similar to this one. My little guy Sam came out to the yard this afternoon while I practiced shooting the "No No". That's what he calls our guns & bows because he know he is not to touch them. When I announced that I was going hunting, he ran and got his "hunting hat" on. He really thought he was coming. If it weren't for the warm weather which means ticks, mosquitos and snakes, I would have taken him.
I found a sweet spot where my oldest son, Paul jr. shot a nice doe last year. Its the elbow of a creek in a hardwoods bottom. I hope to take a picture from my blind this week to show you all. It is beautiful. Sure enough right before dark, a fat doe came down for a drink. In order to get a shot, I needed her to cross the stream which she never did. So I sat there until she left which meant a long walk back to the truck in the dark. Not a big deal except for the snakes. That's where faith comes in I guess. When I pulled in the driveway, Sam came running out half naked and yelled, "Daddy, you shoot a deer?!" He still doesen't realize that its called "Hunting" and not "Shooting" but it sure warmed my heart. I do love that kid. He'll make a great hunting buddy one day when Paul & Zachary are hunting with their own boys.
God is so good and I'm glad he made fat does and half naked little boys to cheer up this old Dad.

No comments: