Sunday, November 22, 2009

More Hunting News

I actually think I'm slowing down on the hunting front. Paul Jr. harvested a big doe on Friday morning. She was betweed 8 & 9 years old based on her teeth. I took a button buck on a quota hunt at Rum Creek WMA. I shot him at a dead run at 250 yards. I'm making corned roasts of of him.
The creath fellas gave me a couple of Virginia deer & my son Zack spent the better part of a day processing the meat. We'll process the two deer from last week on Monday. My niece Becky wants to go hunting so I may take her this week. With my luck we'll get another deer.
I was skinning & gutting my buck at the rum creek check station. Another hunter came up with his buck & we got to talking. Turns out he was a deer processor. Merry Christmas to me! He & his buddy schooled me in the fastest & neatest way to process a deer. What a God send. They were also Christ followers & we had some great fellowship talking about God's Word.
I got to hunt my good friend's land on Saturday morning. I must confess that I was dreaming more about the waffles his wife was making at the house than the deer around us. We had a great time of fellowship that morning. I'll be making my ever evolving venison pin wheels for Thanksgiving again this year. Hopefully I'll have this year's recipe & pics on thanksgiving night to post.
Thanks Chuck for reminding me how lax I've been in my postings.

2 comments:

Chuck said...

Glad I could be of assistance - I truly missed reading your updates and kept checking your wife's blog to keep up to date on your family. To answer your question he dressed out at just about 120#'s he was last years deer and had really long legs. Also yes the grass is still quite green and the weather has not been that enjoyable for hunting - I actually prefer it to be cold! Congrats to all your kids on their deer harvesting - I am in the process of picking up a Savage Arms .243 for Ariel as she will finally be able to get her hunting license next year. Too bad CT is trying to get rid of hunting - We may have to plan a family vacation to GA in the next couple of years! The Governor just raised all of our sportsmen's fees (she doubled everything and we even have to purchase a separate license for ocean fishing now - just for my archery, private land and small game hunting license will be $150 next year.

Unknown said...

What a bummer on the fees. Ours actually went down this year. It was $57 for a sportsman's lisence which includes everything but the duck & trout stamps.
The out of state is also one of the cheapest in the country. You need to come on down. Your kids can hunt with you here. I missed a nice deer tonight - fogged up scope.