Wednesday, August 27, 2008

The Gift of Laughter


Someone started an 'Enfield Christian Academy' group on facebook. I am a 1985 Alumnus of this once great/now defunct institution. There are several discussion threads going through this group. We are all sharing funny stories about our time in school there. I have been laughing until it hurts these past few days. What a wonderful gift God gave us when he programmed in us this idea of laughter. Such good memories & good friends to remember them with. My best friend growing up was Todd Mason & two things stood out to me about him. 1: He was the only person that I knew that could run faster than me. He could really fly. 2: He had a loud infectious laugh. I can still hear him laughing. Thank you Lord for the gift of laughter!

2 comments:

Chuck said...

I must agree - the fact that we have the ability to express emotions is just another confirmation of our Awesome God. It will be amazing to express ourselves as we walk hand in hand with Him some day in His Kingdom. I enjoy the times I express my feelings and emotions now but how glorious it will be to see Him face to face!

Anonymous said...

When Uncle Duane was newly diagnosed with cancer we were always talking about really heavy stuff; life insurance, debts, children, grandchildren, etc. and there was no laughter...that is until we went out to breakfast one Saturday morning. We were sitting in a booth at the buffet and Uncle
Duane looks me right in the eye and says, (with a straight face)"if I don't make it through this I want to be cremated." I'm thinking, "What? He's never expressed a desire to be cremated." So I said, "What?" and he says, "I want you to have me cremated and then put some of my ashes in an envelope and send them to Cathy (his 1st wife) with a note that says, "I'm finished with him, you can have him back." I broke up. Then I said, "I can do better than that, I'll put in a note that says, "I'll bet you never got him this hot." By this time we were roaring and coming up with different things to put in with his ashes. Needless to say the folks around us were aghast. That would be the last time we laughed together for a very long time, but it's what we remember about that awful time and I thank God for the release of unabashed laughter just when we need it most.
Aunt Faith