Friday, November 30, 2012

best hunt ever

 I went hunting this morning after a prolonged absence from the deer woods.  Just figured it would be a good day to watch the sun come up with my future son in law Joseph.  I got to the tree where on November the 15th Anna harvested her first deer - a beautiful 10 point buck (I'll post on that soon - pics and all)
 I got to the tree at 7:28 a.m.  sat down and immediately saw a deer.  I saw a tail through some trees.  I couldn't make it out at all through my scope.  I decided to stand up so I could maneuver better.  It helped in that I could now see the deer but no ethical shot was possible.  Just then I caught movement off to my right.
 On the ridge above the hollow I was in stood the biggest buck I've ever seen!  He was watching me and the does in the thick stuff.  I slowly shifted my rifle to him.  The only clear shot I had was at the base of his neck.  Seeing that he was above me I figured it would find the vitals.
 I went into auto pilot, squeezed the trigger and watched a show of a lifetime.  He jumped straight up about 6 feet.  whirled around then did what looked like cartwheels until he lay still less than 30 yards from where I shot him.
 I texted Joseph to come see this buck.  When I got up to him the first thing I saw was his huge body.  245 pounds which is way above average for Georgia.  His neck was HUGE - swollen in the rut.  What an amazing animal.  He was obviously the dominate buck in the area. 
 Just then I heard a buck grunt close and loud.  I figured it was Joseph alerting me that he was fixing to come over the ridge.  I looked up and was amazed to see a tall 9 point buck looking for the does that my buck was trailing.  I raised my rifle and he turned to leave.  One grunt stopped him and my 270 did the rest - right through the shoulders.  I saw him run away and found good blood.
 Joseph then appeared over the east ridge.  He marveled at the 12 on the ground.  Joseph is pretty even keeled but seeing a big deer on the ground lights his fire.  I love that this young man is as happy for me as he would have been if he had shot it.
 I then told him about the other buck.  "No way" was his response.  "Yup - I put my hat on the limb over first blood." I replied.
We found him just 30 yards from where I shot him.  I was still numb.  Did this really happen?  Am I gonna wake up from this dream disappointed?
We were both in shock.
 Joseph informed me that Anna's buck taken 2 weeks ago was the biggest taken on that property.  These bucks were even bigger.
"Lord, I don't deserve this but thank you for such an 'over the top' blessing" was my prayer. 
What a day!  Two wall hangers in 5 minutes!

2 comments:

Ward Slager said...

Congratulations, Paul. Wow - I can't think of anyone I know better than you to appreciate just what an incredible blessing this is. I knew a guy once who got two small 10's in a row but a big 12 and 9 add up to 21 . . . a good hand in cards and even better when big bucks are in hand!

I'm free next Friday . . . and I know where I'd like to sit!

Chuck said...

Absolutely Amazing! Not only did you fill your freezer with some great meat you shot not one but two trophy bucks! Congratulations, still trying to plan a trip down south with my daughter so we can sit around a camp fire and share hunting stories in person!