Monday, September 17, 2012


 
Went hunting at the Creath's Sunday evening.  Took a nice walk alone along the swamp border and found the old ladder stand overlooking a freshly cut hay field. 
I love being alone in the woods, especially above the forest as the world below forgets an intruder is there.  You get to see and hear things that most people never have the opportunity to see and hear.
It's also a great time to pray.  That's what I found myself doing.  We had a sweet time at church that morning.  Preached out of Romans 8:5-13 - "Saints & Aints & How to Tell the Difference"  I was applying that text to myself and asking God about it.  One of our families had their home broken into during church yesterday.  I found myself praying for their peace.  Then one by one I could see the face of my flock and as the Spirit brought them to my mind's eye I would lift them before the Father.  It was a sweet time and time seemed suspended in a spiritual pause that I've experienced so many times before.
Then I heard a twig break behind me and I remembered what I was there for.  "Father, it sure would be nice to put some fresh pork in the freezer.  Would you send a nice fat pig my way and make my shot true?"  30 seconds passed before I saw the boar jet out into the middle of the field.  He put the breaks on and I raised my 270 to that sweet spot in the hollow of my shoulder.  Instinctively, he caught that movement and did and about face in 4th gear headed back to the swamp from whence he came. 
"Oh well", I told myself, "That's why they call it hunting and not shooting."  Amazingly I heard that boar busting through the bush to my left.  My rifle butt found the sweet spot ahead of time and the black boar appeared just 10 yards away and stopped.
Now I was thinking about not messing up the meat.  Deliberately the cross hairs were lowered to the base of the neck.  Deep breath, half exhale, squeeze...boar down!  My future son in law heard the shoot and appeared at the edge of the field moments later.
We loaded our harvest on his four wheeler and headed back to the homestead.  Now the work was about to begin.
My sons Ben (4) and Sam (7) were fascinated and they stayed out for the two hours it took to completely process this magnificent animal. 
We made many a memory last night that no doubt will be some of my favorites - not the least of which was Ben's anatomy questions and his insistence on poking and prodding every part of the pig.
God was so good to bless us with such an abundance of fresh meat.  He has given us "our daily bread" once again.


1 comment:

Chuck said...

I love this time of year. I wish there weren't mosquitoes so I could enjoy my prayer time in the woods during the summer months too! There is nothing better than one on one time communing with the Lord and getting the bonus of filling the freezer with fresh meat at the end of the day.