Friday, April 15, 2011

The Gospel Stairs

Our Church, Lake Wildwood Baptist, began a journey through Romans this past Sunday. I came across this poem in my studying & I have to confess that I wept when I read the last line. It is my story & that of any & all who have been drawn by the Father & effectually called by the Holy Spirit to Justification by faith alone - vacant of ANY work on my part. May we all be reminded that God has done it all...We are merely the blessed recipients of the His gracious gift through our Lord Jesus Christ. Enjoy...
The Gospel Stairs


O long & dark the stairs I trod

with trembling feet to find my God

Gaining a foothold bit by bit

then slipping back & losing it

Never progressing; striving still

with weakening grasp & faltering will

Bleeding to climb to God, while He

Serenely smiled, unnoting me

Then came a certain time when I

Loosened my hold & fell thereby;

Down to the lowest steps my fall,

As if I had not climbed at all!

Now when I lay despairing there

Listen...a footfall on the stair!

On that same stair where I afraid,

Faltered & fell & lay dismayed

And lo, when hope had ceased to be,

My God came down the stairs to me!

No comments: