Sunday, February 20, 2011

Red Russian, Proud Uncle, Happy Nephew

Joseph Creath - Great Guide & all around excellent man, Paul Jr., me & Garrett "Safety" Bennett
Hanging Hog

Ribs on the Smoker Baby!
Garrett & I with his harvest
Garrett had never been hunting before he moved here to Georgia. I remember my Uncle Jerry taking me when I was about his age - I was hooked!
Garrett didn't like the early morning hunts & truth be told, neither do I. He's hunted faithfully with me for 2 seasons now. He got the knick-name "Safety" for missing a doe due to his safety being on & the hammer stopping short with a 'click' - The deer had enough of that & I had to take the shot. He asked how long he'd have that name & I told him until he got a deer. That was 2 years ago & its stuck with him. He is also very careful & has the best muzzle control of a greenhorn hunter that I've ever seen. So his name started off as a jab but ended up as a compliment.
Yesterday evening we ran down to the Creath plantation as we call it. The Creath's have around 50 acres in Perry. Joseph met us & we killed some time fishing. I caught three nice bass - one over 5 lbs.
Then we headed to the back fields where the hogs had been sighted.
We got into position & lay down under some low hanging branches that afforded us a great view of the field. The pigs were supposed to come out in front of us across the field but as fate would have it, they flanked us & entered the field very close to us on OUR side. There were 12 wild pigs in all. 5 large shooters & 7 small piglets.
Garrett is left handed & left eyed so this was a perfect set up for him. Joseph, our guide, handled everything so smoothly. He told us when to be still & when to get set up for the shot. Then when the piglets got nervous & headed back to the woods, He picked out the Red Russian sow & told Garrett to shoot her.
Garrett is the calmest rookie hunter I've ever seen. He's just a natural - able to control his emotions, line up the cross hairs & squeeze off a shot as the whole herd is headed back to the woods. There was a lot of pressure on him but his shot rang out & the pigs scattered. He said, "Great, I missed!" due to all the pigs bolting & squealing into the woods. When his red pig hit the forest line, it piled up & began squealing for all it was worth. Joseph instructed us to stay put & he ran over & put a 40 cal. pistol round between the ears. All was quiet except for the congratulations. I was so proud of Garrett & I think he was a little proud of himself.
I asked God to give Garrett success as we were lying there waiting for the pigs to show up. God answered that prayer with one of the most memorable hunts I can remember.
Way to go "Safety"!



2 comments:

Angie said...

I'm so proud and happy I could burst... and even more thankful for the MEN God has placed in Garrett's life. We are very blessed!

Anonymous said...

GOD answers prayers, I too said a prayer for success. Garrett GOD bless you not only in hunting but also in searching out HIS will for your life. Paul GOD bless you for loving your cousin Angie and her children, your church family and your own family so much. You bring joy to me and I know to our FATHER. Joseph and the rest of the Creaths thank you for sharing what GOD has blessed you with, with your church family, family and friends. You enrich our lives so much. Love Tony and Judy, Aka Old Auntie and Old Uncle, aka Mom and Dad.