Saturday, April 28, 2007

God's Veto




This past winter, I took my semi-annual study break for a week. One of my deacons and dear friends gave me the keys to his mountain home. I was all set for a week of fasting, prayer, & solitude. The day before I was to leave, my wife came to me with a request. She almost never asks anything of me so I was excited to grant her wish...until she asked. She expressed concern for my son Zack. We didn't have his heart, I didn't have his heart. Beth wasn't sure she could handle him alone for a week. 14 and full of hormones and savage mood swings - not unlike his father at that age. Well that pretty much canned my idea for all of the above except prayer. I didn't figure Zack could go five hours without eating much less five days. I knew this was the will of God but I was disappointed. I was going away to make sure that God had my heart but God needed me to go to make sure that I had my son's heart. We laughed, shopped for food, played rummy till 3am. We did life together for 5 days. I learned how much I loved my son and he learned that too. No, I didn't have the mountain top experience with the Lord directly as I was planning. But Zack and I had a blast just doing life together. The change in Zack since that week has been astounding. He is respectful and is really trying to be honoring. His work ethic has sky rocketed. A contractor friend of mine hired him for two days of hard labor. The man told me later that he never met a young man that could keep up with him until he worked with Zack.

Thank you Father God for my son Zack in whom I am well pleased. Thank you for using your veto power over my plans only to exchange them for your blessings. May all the glory be reflected to your throne!

No comments: